Sunday, March 14, 2010

Healthy Meal #1

In my quest for simple, healthy, and most importantly delicious food, I have managed to create quite a number of healthy alternatives to popular dishes.

I have created my own healthy versions of fettuccine alfredo with shrimp, cream of broccoli soup, Shepherd's pie and others. My husband and I are both foodies and what we eat must have taste...good, delicious taste.

I will be posting some of my creations on this blog. So try my recipes and let me know how you like them.


Fettuccine Faux-fredo with Shrimp
=========================
Two medium yellow squash
5 oz tofu (add more to thicken the sauce if preferred)
20 peeled and de-vained medium shrimp
8 cloves of garlic (less if you're not a garlic lover like me)
1 Medium onion chopped
1/2 cup of mushrooms chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil

1 Lb whole wheat fettuccine

Cook the pasta as instructed on the box. Drain and set aside.

Bake (wrapped in foil) or microwave (in a bowl) the squash until it is tender. Squash needs to be fully cooked and almost falling apart. Put the squash, tofu, 2 cloves of garlic and 2 tsp of olive oil and blend until everything is liquefied. Set aside.

Heat the remaining oil in saucepan, add onions and garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add shrimp and mushrooms and cook for 7 minutes. Add salt to taste. Add the squash/tofu sauce. Mix and let simmer for 10 minuites. Stir constantly.

Serve pasta into a bowl, ladle sauce over pasta and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment